Dozens of people in New South Wales receive serious injuries or lose their lives because of preventable electrical accidents each year. 40% of house fires are reportedly caused by electrical faults that arise due to common electrical hazards.

Let’s take a look at some of the most common electrical hazards homeowners should know of.

Extension Cords

Extension cords are commonly used by homeowners in Sydney. However, long-term usage of extension cords or power boards can result in electrical damages. Continuing to plug in multiple appliances to an extension cord frequently can cause an overload and put your home at risk of electrical fires.

If you absolutely need to use extension cords regularly, make sure that too many appliances aren’t plugged into it at a time. Ideally, you should have additional sockets installed to create more electrical outlets inside your home and avoid an electrical overload.

Moreover, extension cords should always be fixed in a place instead of running loose so as to reduce the chances of someone tripping over them and sustaining injuries. Plastic socket closures can also be used for the unused sockets within an extension cord.

Faulty Wiring

Secondly, faulty wiring can also be a source of electrical accidents or damages to your home. In fact, defective wiring is amongst the leading causes of electrical fires at residences in Sydney. It can cause a circuit overload, overheating the wires. In turn, you may experience electrical fires, power surges, or appliance malfunctioning.

If you believe your home has poor wiring, don’t try to fix it on your own. Always have a professional electrician perform the necessary work and get your wiring fixed ASAP.

faulty wiring and socket

Wet Hands

Most of us are well aware that you must never use wet hands to handle electrical appliances as this can put you at risk of getting an electric shock. And yet, how many times have you reached for the hairdryer when your hands were still wet from the shower or switched on the microwave right after washing the dishes?

If you’re in the habit of handling appliances with wet or even damp hands, you’re practically crying for trouble. Since water is an electrical conductor, you’re at high risk of receiving an electrical shock when you touch an appliance or wiring with wet fingers.

Moreover, all electrical appliances must also be kept away from water sources such as taps, sinks, or bathtubs. You don’t want to risk electrocution because some water splashed over on your appliances!

INE Electrical Group offers a range of electrical services in Sydney, including residential electrical services. It also provides emergency electrical services for any urgent electrical issues that homeowners may face.

Get in touch with them for more details!